History of the Bank
On March 2, 1900, Merchants and Farmers Bank of Greene County, Alabama was established and began operating in Eutaw, Alabama. The bank was organized under the leadership of Judge Thomas Wilkes Coleman. Other founders and directors included Jeff Patton, David McGiffert, Amand P. Smith, George W. Harrison, James O. Banks, E.W. deGraffenreid, E.L. Kimbrough, George F. Hardy, D.W. Duncan, A.W. Howard, William McCracken, James F. Cross, W.H. Hales, W.R. Ward, V.M. Spencer, A.B. Demoville, Phillip B. Minor and Beckham D. Palmer.
Today the bank is a full-service bank. Previously located in a building on the east side of the Eutaw Town Square, the present building on Prairie Avenue was constructed in 1959. In 2012, the bank was honored by the Alabama State Banking Commission for being one of the few independent banks in the State of Alabama operating for more than 100 years. In 2014, the bank opened its first branch in Prattville, Alabama and in 2017, opened its first Loan Production Office in Demopolis, Alabama.
Present officers include:
Alvis Storey – Chairman, CEO, Investment Officer
Ralph R. Banks, III – President
Daniel M. Garnand – Executive Vice President
Harris Banks – Vice President/Cashier
Rick Dunn – Vice President
Valley Harrison – Vice President
Sandra Northington – Vice President
Keith Wallace – Vice President
John Compton – Assistant Cashier
Carolyn Brownlee – Assistant Cashier/ Head Teller
Jerry Elkins – Data Processing Manager
Palmer Halper – Head Bookkeeper
Angie Weeks – Compliance Officer
Directors of Merchants and Farmers Bank are Alvis Storey, Chairman of the Board, Ralph Liverman, James O. Banks, Jr., Ralph R. Banks III, Gavin Edgar, Kevin Jockisch, and Daniel M. Garnand.
Dawn Abrams – Secretary of the Board